Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Procrastination...

I know I am doing it. I can feel it both weighing on me, and running around feverishly in the back of my mind. The list is long...the task, daunting at best. It's just that time of year again, and I dread it anew. The day is calling to me...and it's saying, "RUN AWAY!"

I am talking about the mountains of clothes I need to go through...again. Every six months I have to empty the children's dressers and closets and drag out the bins and bags of next-size, next-season, clothes to fold and put away for use.

I don't mind the task in theory...but in reality, with three toddlers running around...it's just not as easy as it needs to be. What I really need is a big block of uninterrupted time to be in there with the door closed, piles and piles of clothes around me to work and think. What I'll get though...is a few minutes here and there...fighting off kids jumping through the organized piles, and tossing the articles into the air like jumbo confetti. Or...worse yet...'helpers' that shuffle, tuck and squish clothes into and out of piles randomly, or undress and redress in a dozen different outfits they discard like banana peels all over the house.

In between going through the old clothes and folding the new...the kids will need diapers changed, Sippee cups filled, foods, snacks, entertainment, refereeing, hugs, kisses on boo-boo's, an occasional swat, time in mommy's lap, the password for the computer game, and someone to make sure they aren't playing with knives, electrical outlets, or worse...the soap-pump in the bathroom!

It's a big, thankless, job. It's necessary but knowing it's impractical to put it off with the school year about to begin, doesn't make it any easier to begin. Maybe if I stop feeding them...I won't have to do it again for awhile...

I am sitting here typing and with every click of the keyboard, I feel myself growing more firmly into Rob's shoes....p-r-o-c-r-a-s-t-i-n-a-t-i-o-n. Life gets too quickly out of hand with tasks like these not taken care of. Especially in a house the size of ours, filled with as many people as it is.

If I can't have help with the job itself, how about some appreciation for the Herculean efforts of one dedicated mom?? Hmmmm. I do wish my dear husband had a clue about the work involved, but I don't think the male mind has the necessary depth and faculty to imagine the effort involved in the mundane, but critical details of running a household full of children!

'Tis thankless work, but I will find joy in serving my family.Surely there are mothers out there, certainly my own, who can appreciate the immense task. Those piles of clothes are staring at me. Who's going to blink first??

Time to stop typing...and lift the burden of a big chore not done...to the satisfaction of the job well done. Wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home