Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Sailing an Ocean of Bizarre Blogs

Not to be judgemental...but am I the only 'normal' human in the sea of weblogs? I hit the "Next Blog" browser button at the top of my post to see what happened by. It began cycling me through random blogs. I got many foreign pages, can't comment on the content of those, naturally. Yet I came across so much existentialist, political, overblown and empty philosophy I was nauseated. Everyone was 'out there' in the cosmos. There were silly college 'roomie' diatribes, dark poetry, and disturbingly random thoughts that made one dizzy trying to follow them. People trying too hard to be 'deep'. People not trying to be 'deep' at all. People sounding so disconnected that it's hard to imagine an intelligent and functioning human on the other end of the keyboard.

I understand that blogs, (outside of the many advertisements and ad sites I came across), are random slices of humanity. The creation of individuals' saying and thinking what they wish...but why so many disjointed and bizarre posts? One must navigate through the scummy waters of muddy thinking looking for hope on the horizon in the form of clear, concise, intelligent verbiage. Most people seem to jot down words like a drunken sailor trying to stumble his way to the bathroom, here, there, everywhere, until they've forgotten where they were going or why they were going anywhere at all!

I don't know why I expect to come across blogs of interest, for the web is wide and large. I only know that I would actually spend more than ten seconds reading, and not just trying to get out of and on to the next one if I could find an interesting one out there. It seems I will have more luck finding the proverbial needle in the haystack. As for my posts...someone would have to actually spend ten seconds reading a few lines to catch a little intellect behind it, and it seems that no one has that much time to spend outside of their own bizarre little musings! Maybe I'm just too 'normal', maybe I'm dangerously boring. Maybe I'm not weirdly infinite, random or flaky enough to be considered 'zen', 'hip' or 'now'. That's okay by me. I'd rather be well-versed, somewhat talented, and in possession of at least rudimentary writing skills, than jump on the 'deep thoughts' bandwagon.

Of course, who am I to judge? Perhaps what we need in this world is just a little more chaos that doesn't make sense. Perhaps a few more sarcastic and meaningless questions, or a few dozen of someone else's intelligent quotes listed in random order, makes for a better read than mine. Oh yeah, let me try too:

"If toast always lands butter side up...and a cat always lands on it's feet...what happens if you strap a piece of toast butter-side up on the back of a cat and push him off the counter?" There. Figure that one out folks.

Seriously, I just think it would be interesting to accidentally bump into a blog that had some substance. I imagine navigating my way across the void of weblogs looking for another small ship that is staying afloat by writing interesting, everyday things. Maybe that's just me. A simple gal fashioned by values of an era not tainted by designer drugs and all-night parties. A pregnant, stay-at-home mom thinking out loud occasionally. Hmmm. Maybe I AM the minority! I certainly appear to be by the weird, random sampling of 'intelligence' and 'wit' out there! I better be alright with that...because no one may ever find me here on this murky ocean of literary refuse.

It's peaceful on my little erudite and bookish boat. The water laps the sides gently and a light, warm breeze ruffles my hair. Though it's dark here, and I am alone, there are stars twinkling in the clear sky, and I am not afraid. It's good to be 'normal', unremarkable, and steady on an ocean of strange fish and lurking underwater creatures. Happy sailing everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home